. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS .

 Q. How are SILVERETTE® cups used?

 

A. Put a few drops of breast milk in each cup at the end of each feed and place them over your nipples, using your bra or nursing singlet to keep them in place. They can easily be worn with breast pads in place too. Wear them until the pain/damage has resolved, or, if using them as a preventative measure, for the first 3 - 4 weeks of breastfeeding, then as needed thereafter. Keep them on day and night – except when feeding. Do not use any other nipple treatments (creams, oils, lotions, etc), in conjunction with SILVERETTE ®. Doing so may compromise or reduce the efficacy of the product.

Q. Are they used to prevent pain or damage from occurring?

A. Definitely! In fact, we strongly recommend that they be used from day one of your breastfeeding journey to ensure your nipples stay healthy and happy. The antimicrobial properties of silver inhibit and destroy bacteria, fungi and viruses, thus preventing an infection from starting.

Q. How do I clean the SILVERETTE® cups?

 

A. Make a paste with baking soda and water and scrub the cups thoroughly, top and bottom, each day. This removes any milk residues. Rinse and allow to dry. Do not put them in the dishwasher, boil or sterilise them, or use detergent or any other cleaning products – doing so may ruin the silver.

Q. Are they available in different sizes?

 

A. No, they are only available in one universal size. SILVERETTE®’s patented anatomical shape has been tested to fit nipples of all shapes and sizes.

Q. What is 925 silver?

 

A. 925 silver, also known as sterling silver or solid silver, is created when pure silver is mixed with another metal, in order to make the resulting compound harder and more durable. The number 925 represents a percentage - indicating the product contains 92.5% silver. SILVERETTE® cups contain 92.5% silver and 7.5% copper. This small amount of copper allows the cups to be molded into shape (as pure/fine silver, at 999 or 1000, is too soft to be molded).

 

Q. Do SILVERETTE® cups contain nickel?

 

A. No, SILVERETTE® cups are nickel free.

Q. Does the efficacy of the product diminish with time?

A. No, the efficacy remains the same. They can be used again and again, with each subsequent child, and then passed on to the next generation for use.

Q. Are SILVERETTE® cups safe for me and my baby?

A. Yes, SILVERETTE® cups are very safe for both mother and baby. No chemicals are passed onto a nursing baby while breastfeeding. Unlike other metals, such as lead and mercury, sterling silver is non-toxic to humans, especially as it is worn on the body. It is worth noting that the rare adverse effects associated with silver have been from silver allergies, or ingesting very large quantities of it over a long period of time.

Q. Are there any contraindications?

A. The only known contraindication is a silver or copper allergy. Keep in mind that almost all allergies to silver jewellery are caused by the metals that are combined (alloyed) with silver - an actual allergy to silver itself is very rare. While nickel is the primary metal that people are allergic to, copper can also cause allergies in some people. If you have a known copper or silver allergy but would like to use the cups, we recommend seeking medical advice first.

 

  • Grey Facebook Icon
  • Grey Instagram Icon

© 2017 Mother Nurture New Zealand (authorised distributor of SILVERETTE ®)